The architectural complex of villa valmarana is located on one of the more spectacular bends along the brenta canal. The entire construction goes back to the 17th century and was built by the valmarana family. In the 19th century the tenant farmers turned the boat house on the left bank into a farmhouse and used the cellars on the right bank as a boat house. In 1890, when the government imposed a tax on these rich estates, the mansion, like many others, was demolished. In 1962 the boat house on the right bank was purchased and restored, while the original one on the left bank was left in badly deteriorated conditions. The most interesting part is also the only part open to the public: the guesthouse, where the valmaranas used to lodge visitors. The imposing portico with its unadorned tuscan columns immediately catches the visitor’s eye. A handsomely carved and inlaid carriage in wood built in 1867 stands at the center. The western façade, visible from the brenta, is worthy of particular attention, as it is characterized by a series of windows with renaissance echoes, enclosed between the corner of the great portico and a smaller porch on the opposite side. Above the entrance arch is the noble coat of arms of the valmarana family, and the interior preserves all the original furnishings. It is also possible to admire the frescoes painted by michelangelo schiavoni (1712-1772) known as “Il chiozzotto”. These frescoes were restored by the sculptor luciano minguzzi in 1962, as they had been painted over with whitewash in 1908 when the boathouses were used for storage and as a barn and wine cellar. A particularly interesting fresco adorns the ceiling of the central hall, the ballroom: entitled “Glory of the valmarana family”. At the center of a tiepolo-like sky, it depicts the figures of diana, mars, apollo and minerva accompanied by pages, ladies and country lasses who seem to look over an illusory banister at the viewers below. The rooms to the sides are frescoed with landscapes painted in chiaroscuro and paintings figuring the liberal arts. A lovely italian garden surrounds the villa, with a vast, well-tended park, planted with over 1000 rosebushes.
YOU CAN VISIT:
frescoed interiors and Italian garden.