According to his custodian, antonio ruvoletto, who died just a few years ago, baron von chantal was convinced that his villa had once been a monastery. Since the area had been involved in continuous wars, he got the idea that the monks had hidden a treasure somewhere in the park, and made poor antonio and his father giuseppe dig deeply in a large area of the garden. What is left of this search is a pretty little lake with an island, in the park. As regards the story of the monastery, alessandro baldan, a historian of the riviera del brenta, says that, indeed, pietro badoer received the property from the monastery of san sebastiano. More information is found in the will written by filippo badoer in 1363, which can be found in the state archives in padua. It is a very long will, often illegible, but it names the monastery of san sebastiano as guardian of his orphans until they came of age. That is probably the origin of the legend. During world war ii, the mansion was requisitioned and turned into a german military hospital, then the british used it as a warehouse and deposit, all of which left it badly deteriorated. Ulderico fattoretto bought the property in 1945 because he considered it and the adjacent land to be the ideal location for his business as a winemaker and merchant. He was also interested in the vicinity of the villa to the brenta river, which for many years had been the natural mode of transportation for wine, by barge to venice. The villa was restored and embellished in 1964 by the architect piero pra with the consultation of the architects asso and staubler from the venetian supervisory of monuments.
THE FARM MUSEUM:
The museum houses an interesting collection of documents, as well as old and ancient tools, equipment and instruments for various arts and trades.
There are over 20,000 pieces, patiently assembled from the early 20th century by the current owner, Luigino Fattoretto; these objects form a collection
that may be unrivaled in the Veneto region. There are farm implements and tools used by carpenters and woodcutters; there are all the instruments
necessary for work in the field, typical farmhouse furnishings and kitchen utensils. An entire section is devoted to the wine cellar, another to millstones,
while yet another contains a collection to foot-warmers, irons, looms and clothing. The last section is devoted to carriages and wagons.
The collection, completed by countless prints and edicts, as well as popular religious images, is currently in the process of being catalogued and
is undergoing conservative restoration.
YOU CAN VISIT:
interiors, collections of tools of farm tradition and ancient trades, the park and the lake.
Contact us for the schedule of days and times of guided tours
section B – go to the map