Villa farsetti was planned and built by the abbot, filippo farsetti, who came from a noble venetian family and was a great connoisseur of culture and art in his time. He began construction of the villa at sala around 1753, after first getting the waterways under control, digging canals and fishponds, laying out a botanical garden, a kitchen garden and the mountain woodlands. Around 1766 other buildings and sections of the garden were built, like the lemon shed, a nursery for carnations, a heating stove for the more delicate plants. Work on the mansion itself did not begin until 1769, on the return of farsetti from his last trip to rome where the abbot had received a payment large enough to permit the construction of such a large complex. The project was entrusted to the most famous architect of the time, paolo posi, who designed the villa in a style of which he was particularly fond: a central illuminated rotunda that was to serve, according to farsetti’s intentions, as a museum, around which he built the central three-story structure consisting of two lower floors on two levels, consisting of two terminal pavilions and as many arcades and galleries connecting them. The building thus achieved a formally perfect symmetry and composition, with the oval hall exactly in axis with the two lateral halls, the two arcades and the two pavilions. The most surprising aspect of the structure are the ancient columns used as structural elements: the columns are made of 38 different kinds of marble, all highly prized and still in good conditions. On the south side of what is now the “Cavin di sala”, farsetti had planned to build a series of structures reminiscent of ancient rome: the campidoglio, the temple of jupiter tonans and, at its feet, a small oval-shaped lake that was supposed to represent the naumachia. When farsetti died in 1774 the work was still in progress, but no one continued his project. The villa went to his nephew daniele and was later sold to various other owners until it was acquired by the municipal administration in 1974.
YOU CAN VISIT:
interiors and outside.
Contact us for the schedule of days and times of guided tours
section D – go to the map