The villa was built in the 18th century by francesco maria preti, on an original project by gerolamo frigimelica. The works were completed in time to celebrate the appointment of the owner, alvise pisani, to the position of doge of the serenissima. Preti’s work contained elements of the new neo-classical taste that in succeeding decades became more and more popular. The property is located near strà, on a bend in the river brenta, so that passersby could admire it. To ensure the visibility of this demonstration of wealth and power, the owner decided to forego construction of the usual garden along the canal. The immense, majestic complex includes a rectangular main building facing the river and several smaller buildings in the park. The baroque façade is interrupted at the center by a taller section with gigantic corinthian columns supporting the tympanum, while the two symmetrical wings to either side continue with ionic pillar strips and end repeating the temple motif. The terraces and roof are embellished with statues. On the inside, the central section, that separates two courtyards, has a porch on the ground floor that connects the entrance with the garden, and on the upper floor a magnificent frescoed ballroom two stories high. The villa contains 114 rooms furnished with 18th century furniture and decorated by tiepolo (his famous “apotheosis of the pisani family” covers the ceiling of the ballroom) and other great painters of the period such as amigoni, canal, crosato, zucarelli and ricci. The villa was purchase by napoleon in 1807, who presented it to his italian viceroy, eugenio beauharnais; in 1814 it passed to the austrian crown and then to the savoys who, in 1886 sold it to the state. Its sumptuous rooms were visited by personalities like napoleon, beauharnais, maria luigia di parma, alexander i of russia, ferdinand of austria, massimiliano of hapsburg, vittorio emanuele ii, gustav of sweden. It was here, in 1943 that hitler and mussolini met. Behind the villa extends a vast park which holds the famous labyrinth of hedges celebrated by gabriele d’annunzio and other lesser buildings such as the stables, with the fish ponds in front of them, the “Cold storage house” on a little hill, the stage for open-air theater, the towers and the access gates along the surrounding walls. The park of villa pisani was the winner for 2008 of the “Most beautiful park in italy” award. It covers 11 hectares all along a bend in the brenta canal and was built, before the villa, to a project by the padua architect girolamo frigimelica de’ roberti. The structure of the park combines elements of the french models applied by andrè le nôtre in versailles with elements of the venetian tradition of walled gardens.
YOU CAN VISIT:
the frescoed rooms of the villa, and the garden.
Contact us for the schedule of days and times of guided tours
section H – go to the map