Villa widmann rezzonico foscari, one of the jewels of the late venetian baroque period, was built at the beginning of the 18th century by the venetian nobles of the scerimann family, at a site that is still known as “La riscossa”. In 1719 the architectural complex consisted of the mansion – a simple cube -, a majestic country house with a broad arcade and annexed church. The square building was probably designed by the architect a.Tirali, and has a large central room on the ground floor with four rooms opening off it. The house was given its current design only around the middle of the 18th century when the widmann family, after buying the property, provided to remodel the mansion according to the french rococò tastes, and enlarged the boathouse, joining it to the church. The central structure thus became a comfortable guesthouse for parties and receptions, featuring good music, fine food, dancing and games. Giuseppe angeli, a disciple of giambattista piazzetta, and the quadraturist gerolamo mangozzi colonna, who worked with tiepolo, were hired to decorate and embellish the ballroom. Among the many famous guests of the villa, one of the most illustrious was carlo goldoni, a friend of ludovico widmann, who wrote enthusiastically about his enjoyable stays there in his “Memoires”. Other important guests were cardinal sarto, when he was the patriarch of venice, the musicians malipiero, igor stravinsky, the poet pasto and the writer gabriele d’annunzio. The richly planted part extends to the north of the property, embellished with many statues in sandstone. On the right, beyond the house, there is an area bordered by the low greenhouse construction, where a swimming pool was built in the seventies. The lake was also installed at that time, as well as a monumental fountain and new paths.
YOU CAN VISIT:
interiors and the exterior.
Contact us for the schedule of days and times of guided tours
section H – go to the map